The history of the BAHIANA- School of Medicine and Public Health had its start in 1953, when the determination and dedication of a group of academics, religious leaders, public administrators and doctors with extensive experience in teaching gave start to the activities of its first graduating class of doctors.
Since then, BAHIANA remains committed to quality in the higher education it offers and in the health care services it provides to the population. Through this commitment, critical, ethical and highly trained professionals graduate, whether from a technical-scientific or human viewpoint, ready to meet the challenges and demands of contemporary society.
Today, the School offers several undergraduate, graduate and extension courses within their outpatient health care teaching, providing health services to the general population, and consolidating its reputation over the years, as a reference in higher education in the Northern/Northeastern region. Drawing on 496 teachers, around 15,000 health professionals have graduated, including 265 masters and doctorate degrees and more than 1,500 specialists. Thusly, in 63 years of existence, BAHIANA has established itself as a premiere institution focused on the area of health.
The school consists of two Academic Units - Brotas and Cabula - both in the urban area of the city of Salvador. There are classroom auditoriums, teaching and research laboratories, computer labs, auditoriums, clinics, libraries containing over 25,000 books and 60 periodical subscriptions, access to the internet and to the Medline and Bireme databases, video libraries, video conferencing rooms, living spaces and convention center with Eduroam wi-fi in all academic spaces.
The institution converges its efforts to constantly update and modernize the practice of health, promoting and encouraging education in a variety of ways.
The teaching-learning process utilizes active methodologies, highlighting PBL (Problem Based Learning) and TBL (Team Based Learning), practical activities in the field and in teaching laboratories, a multi-disciplinary approach, objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) and mini clinical evaluation exercise (mini-Cex). Considering that the quality of education offered is directly linked to the qualification of teachers, BAHIANA offers a teacher-training program called PROIDD (Institutional Program for Teaching Development).
In this way, the institution has been training professionals with qualifications of excellence in public health care and strengthening research and extension courses as permanent faculty activities, in program exchange with other kindred national and international institutions.
For these reasons, over its 63 years of existence, the conscious and continuous development of BAIANA has lived up to regional and national expectations in the area of human health.
To be an educational institution focused on the field of health, developing qualified professionals based on ethical and humanistic values and principles, and from an individualized and interdisciplinary perspective.
To fulfill its social responsibility and contribute to socio-cultural and environmental development, seeking to meet the demands of society, from actions that set it apart in teaching, research and extension.
To be a university dedicated to health and a national and international reference with excellence in teaching, research, extension courses and advisory services
• To be available to listen and welcome people according to their differences, demands and needs, committing ourselves to problem resolution and the institution's code of ethics.
• To promptly take advantage of all the possibilities and alternatives that come into play from the services offered by the institution and, when unable to do so, offer a responsible course of action that can bring about resolution
• To confront new situations/problems looking for solutions and/or innovative alternatives.
• To be responsible for the work process, acting proactively and persistently in the search for solutions and alternatives to problems, and generating results for all involved.
• To be open to change and new ideas, committing to the process of transformation.
• To see problems as challenges and opportunities for personal, professional and institutional growth.
Learn and Teach
• To avail ourselves to learn from the challenges and successes, sharing this experience and contributing to the personal and professional development of all, strengthening the institution as a learning community.
• To communicate openly and objectively in order to ensure transparency and the understanding required for interpersonal and institutional relations of quality, and foster credibility and mutual respect.
Director of the Escola Bahiana de Medicina e Saúde Pública
Prof.ª Dra. Maria Luisa Carvalho Soliani
Deputy Director of the Escola Bahiana de Medicina e Saúde Pública
Prof. Dr. Ênio Ribeiro Maynard Barreto
Coordinator of Graduate and Undergraduate Teaching
Prof.ª Maria de Lourdes de Freitas Gomes
Personal Develpment Coordinator
Prof.ª Luiza de Oliveira Kruschewsky Ribeiro
Prof. Gaspare Saraceno
Financial and Administration Coordinator
Emanoel Olimpio Alves de Souza
Communication and Marketing Coordinator
Research and Innovation Coordinator
Prof. Atson Fernandes
Carolina Pedroza de Carvalho Garcia